DAAD Scholarships in Germany for Development Postgraduate Courses
DAAD Scholarships in Germany for Development Postgraduate Courses. DAAD Scholarships are prestigious awards offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to foreign graduates from development and newly industrialized countries.
These scholarships provide the opportunity for students to pursue postgraduate or Master’s degrees at state or state-recognized German universities, and in some cases, to obtain a doctoral degree. The scholarships are aimed at candidates with at least two years of professional experience in their respective fields.
Degree Level and Fields of Study
DAAD Scholarships are available for postgraduate or Master’s degree programs and in exceptional cases, doctoral degree programs.
The scholarships are awarded to students in various fields, including:
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional and Urban Planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Social Sciences, Education and Law
- Media Studies.
Number of Scholarships and Target Group: The scholarships are limited in number and are open to students from eligible countries.
More: Institute of Education Centenary Masters Scholarships
DAAD Scholarship Details
The scholarships provide monthly payments of 861 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates, payments towards health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover, and travel allowances, unless covered by the home country or another source of funding. The scholarship duration is 12 to 24 months (depending on the particular institution) for Master’s and 42 months for PhD.
DAAD Scholarships Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the DAAD Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently working either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country, engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic, or social areas.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Have completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor) at the time of application.
- Academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
- For study courses in German (scholarship includes a 6-month German language course): Successful passing of the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the start of the study course. Therefore, a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is a requirement that needs to be proofed by providing a certificate.
- For courses in English: Proof of adequate language skills, according to the regulations of the respective courses.
Application Process for DAAD Scholarships
Applications must be made directly to the respective course. Interested students are advised to visit the official website and refer to the respective course websites for the application procedure, application deadline, and the required documents to be submitted. The deadline for application varies depending on the course but falls around August-October 2023.
Website: For complete information on how to apply for this scholarship, please visit the official scholarship website here. Additionally, applicants are encouraged to read the FAQs and the 2024/2025 brochure.