Sony Xperia 1 III review. Sony is again at it once more and regardless of the ever dropping gross sales outcomes, it is even obtained a number of smartphone firsts for us. The Xperia 1 III, the most recent true flagship within the lineup, is the logical automobile for these, and we’re right here to inform you all about it.
Ever because the Xperia Z5 Premium all the way in which again in 2015, Sony’s top-tier telephones have had 4K decision shows. The Xperia 1 III combines the excessive decision and a excessive refresh price in a single, making it the primary smartphone with a 4K 120Hz show (with some caveats).
The opposite novelty is the variable focal size periscope telephoto digital camera. 5x periscopes are primarily mainstream now, and the lengthy attain is most welcome. However for intermediate zoom ranges, you usually must depend on digital zoom or a second telephoto digital camera. The Xperia 1 III presents another – its periscope digital camera can change between 2.9x and 4.4x zoom ranges (70mm and 105mm respectively). Now that is a primary.
The remainder of the Xperia is pretty normal, or at the very least not one thing we have not seen earlier than. It is a high-end Android cellphone in 2021, so which means the Snapdragon 888 is on the helm, and there is extra RAM than on this reviewer’s ultrabook (12GB come normal). Gorilla Glass back and front, mud and water safety, a 4,500mAh battery with (considerably) quick charging – some issues simply cannot be all that completely different.
Sony Xperia 1 III specs at a look:
- Physique: 165.0×71.0x8.2mm, 186g; Glass entrance (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass again (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum body; IP65/IP68 mud/water-proof (as much as 1.5m for 30 minutes).
- Show: 6.50″ OLED, 1B colours, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020, 1644x3840px decision, 21.02:9 facet ratio, 643ppi; 4K@60Hz / FHD@120Hz.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Reminiscence: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.X; microSDXC (makes use of shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software program: Android 11.
- Rear digital camera: Large (essential): 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm, 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Twin Pixel PDAF, OIS; Extremely large angle: 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm, half of.6″, Twin Pixel PDAF; Telephoto: 12 MP, f/2.3, 70mm, f/2.8, 105mm, half of.9″, Twin Pixel PDAF, 3x/4.4x optical zoom, OIS; Depth: 0.Three MP, TOF 3D.
- Entrance digital camera: Eight MP, f/2.0, 24mm (large), 1/4″, 1.12µm.
- Video seize: Rear digital camera: 4K@24/25/30/60/120fps HDR, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS; Entrance digital camera: 1080p@30fps, 5-axis gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Quick charging 30W, 50% in 30 min (marketed), Quick wi-fi charging, Reverse wi-fi charging, USB Energy Supply.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5mm jack.
Sony Xperia 1 III unboxing
The Xperia 1 III ships in what’s been Sony’s go-to two-piece white packaging for a number of years now. The Xperia brand and the mannequin quantity are embossed within the middle of the lid in shiny lettering, whereas a smaller grey ‘Sony’ brand sits on the close to finish. It is a easy, but fashionable and durable field.
Our assessment unit got here bundled with a charger and a USB-C cable, and nothing else. We obtained the XQZ-UC1 adapter (30W, USB PowerDelivery) which is the most effective one Sony has to supply, and we reckon that is what’s going to ship with retail-grade items as nicely. Nonetheless, your bundle might differ from ours.