HEC Commonwealth PhD Scholarship 2021.HEC Commonwealth PhD Scholarship 2021. The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has announced the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships to study in the UK – United Kingdom for the session of 2021.
The program is Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth PhD Scholarships allow talented and motivated individuals to gain advanced knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford their studies in the UK.
Purpose: To contribute to the development needs of Commonwealth countries by supporting research that will have a developmental impact.
These awards will also enhance individual teaching and research capacity leading to increase institutional capacity in academic and other sectors in Commonwealth countries, and will contribute to UK higher education and research by attracting high-caliber international candidates and encouraging links and collaboration.
Intended beneficiaries: High-quality graduates who have the potential to undertake world-class research of a developmental nature and to become influential leaders, teachers, or researchers in their home countries.
Commonwealth Scholarships are for candidates from low- and middle-income Commonwealth countries, for fulltime Doctoral study (PhD) at a UK University. These scholarships are offered under following six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Complete details of programs, eligibility and further classification of themes of study offered for Commonwealth scholarships is available at:
Benefits of the programme / FINANCIAL COVERAGE
The Scholarship will cover the following:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed).
- Approved tuition fees.
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,116 per month or £1,369, for those at universities in London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020-21 levels).
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable.
- Study travel grants towards the cost of study-related travel within UK or Overseas.
- Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location) where approved.
- Paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed or (intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarships, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork).
- Family allowances as follows:
- If you are accompanied by your spouse but no children: spouse allowance of £240 per month for a maximum period of nine months, if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply).
- If you are accompanied by your spouse and children: spouse allowance of £240 per month and child allowance of £240 per month for the first child. £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your spouse and children are living with you at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply).
- If you are accompanied by your children but no spouse: child allowance of £480 per month for the first child and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your children are living with you at the same address in the UK.
For further details, please visit.
Duration of the Programme
The duration of the scholarship program is Four years for PhD starting from Fall 2021.